Saturday, April 25, 2015

SEWING TINY NINE PATCH




On March 9, I showed this pattern I designed in EQ7.  It is a great way to use up those little fabric scraps you have.  Finished size is 28 1/2 inches square.  Perfect for our coffee table.  If you want to make one yourself, here is the cutting and sewing instructions:


First, gather all your 1" strips and sew them together in three long strips.   After ironing, cut into 1"  vertical strips like shown.  Then assemble so you have 5 dark and 4 light.  You need a total of 124 9-patches.  That will give you a few extra in case one or two turn out wonky.  In which case, I simple throw them away.  Hey, most people would throw away 1" scraps anyway. 

With scrap quilts, it is important that you have something to pull them together.  In my case I have decided to use one fabric for the larger 2" squares and the same fabric for the pieced border.  For the dark 2" squares I used a variety from my 2" bin.  So, with that is mind, I cut 60 - 2" dark fabric squares.  Then I cut 52 - 2" light squares.





I always iron the direction that has the least going on... in this case, the direction of the 2 plain blocks.




You need a total of 12 of the dark blocks;  13 of the light blocks.   Have fun and I will show you my progress in a future post.  Please comment if you are sewing along. 

Once again it is snowing here, but that won't stop us...we will be opening today and hope to see some of you there.  It's ice cream time!





No comments:

Post a Comment